The II World Cup was held between May 27 and June 10, 1934, shortly after finishing the European leagues. For the first time in the history of the tournament, a single-match direct elimination system was used. To solve the ties in the regulation time was played an extension of 30 minutes. And if the score was still matched, a tiebreaker game should be played the following day, all matches in each phase were played the same day, in different venues.
To set the qualifiers, the organizing committee established a “seed” that would not face each other in the round of 16. In this way, we wanted to ensure that the strongest selections reached the end. The last confirmed participant, the United States, met only three days before the inauguration.
The organizing committee had stadiums of recent construction such as the National Stadium of the National Fascist Party (remodeled in 1927), the San Siro Stadium (1926), the Littoriale Stadium in Bologna (1927) and the Giovanni Berta Stadium in Florence (1931). The National Stadium in Rome, home of the Grand Final, and the Luigi Ferraris Stadium were remodeled for the occasion.
On the occasion of the event, three more facilities were built. The most modern was the Benito Mussolini Stadium in Turin, named after the fascist leader, whose works began in September 1932 and did not finish until May 1933. Originally planned for 65,000 spectators, an athletics track was built on the lawn. that could host more competitions. When Mussolini lost power, he was renamed “Comunale.” The Littorio Stadium of Trieste opened its doors on September 29, 1932, while the Giorgio Ascarelli of Naples did not open until May 27, 1934, already in full Cup, in the match between Egypt and Hungary.
At present, only the stadiums of Milan, Florence, Genoa and Turin remain open. The field of Naples was destroyed by the bombings of the allies in 1942, and the rest were replaced by other facilities.